Skip to main content

Sustainable Tampere 2030

Tampere aims to be carbon neutral by 2030. This means that Tampere will reduce its greenhouse gas emissions by 80 per cent compared to 1990 levels and that the remaining 20 per cent will be compensated by increasing carbon sinks, such as forests and green areas.

The programme is particularly aimed at reducing emissions from urban planning, housing, mobility, energy and consumption. In addition to the city group, key collaborators include Tampere-based businesses, associations and residents. The programme specifies measures as jointly agreed between the involved parties and launches projects to implement them.

The Sustainable Tampere 2030 programme is a roadmap for the "Sustainable Tampere 2030 – towards a carbon-neutral city" policy.


Carbon Neutral Tampere 2030 Roadmap

The city's climate actions have been compiled into the Carbon Neutral Tampere 2030 Roadmap. The roadmap includes 236 actions under six themes: urban planning, mobility, construction, energy, consumption and nature.

Sustainable Tampere 2030 programme created the roadmap together with the city’s service areas, various departments, public utilities and city’s companies. The City Board approved the roadmap on August 31, 2020.

Tampere will be carbon neutral by 2030. This means that greenhouse gas emissions will be reduced by 80% compared to 1990 and the remaining 20% will be compensated. According to the roadmap impact assessment, the city’s measures will achieve a 72% reduction in emissions by 2030. However, it has not yet been possible to assess the impact of all measures. The roadmap will be updated as necessary to reach the goal.


Climate Partnership – Together Towards Carbon Neutrality

The goal of the Tampere Region Climate Partnership is to involve companies, associations, and communities in pursuing a carbon-neutral Tampere.

Climate partners commit to the climate goals of the city by identifying their key emissions and deciding to reduce them. Partners define their organization’s climate actions and goals related to climate change mitigation.

Climate partners meet regularly at networking events, such as breakfast meetings and the annual Tampere Region Climate Forum. Through the climate partnership, companies and communities gain visibility and awareness of their climate actions, as well as guidelines and tools for climate work.


My2050 mobile game about climate change

A Tampere version of the My2050 mobile game on climate change has been released. My2050 provides both fun entertainment and information on climate change.

My2050 is a free adventure game where players will take an hour to explore the beaches of Tammerkoski river and Näsinpuisto Park in the City Center and discover the story of 20th-century YouTuber Niha Bee. At the same time, they collect points by solving tasks.

The My2050 is suitable for groups of friends or work, for families and travelers, or for teaching purposes from the age of 12 to the adult. You can play in Finnish or English using the mobile application, regardless of the time of day.

The game version was developed as part of the Smart Tampere development program and the STARDUST project. Previously, customized versions of My2050 have been released for Helsinki and Espoo. The game was made by Visio GameFactory.


Projects

Sustainable Tampere 2030 Program covers many different sustainability related projects. Ongoing projects include STARDUST, FUSILLI and AREA 21 + action. Already completed projects are EU-GUGLE, The Energy Wise Cities project, KIEPPI, and a project promoting wood construction.

STARDUST is an EU Horizon 2020 Smart Cities project, which brings together advanced European cities, thus forming into a constellation of “innovation islands" – exemplary models of smart, highly efficient, intelligent and citizen-oriented cities.

FUSILLI is a Food and Natural Resources project. Over a duration of four years, FUSILLI will focus on supporting cities to facilitate their transition towards more sustainable food systems.

AREA 21 + action project promotes cooperative processes for integrated energy planning at a district level. The project seeks to model energy efficient urban areas of the future, adopting collaborative stakeholder engagement processes in the strategic planning and implementation of energy solutions

The Energy Wise Cities project aimed to boost the role of the participating cities towards international example areas of energy-efficient housing, zeroenergy construction, diversified energy systems, energy efficiency monitoring and end user guidance.

6Aika Partnership Model for Sustainable Neighbourhoods (KIEPPI) project included three cities in the midst of developing sustainable and carbon neutral neighborhoods (Tampere – Hiedanranta area, Espoo – Kera area, Turku – Science Park area in Kupittaa). Project’s aim was to tie the development closely with business creation around circular, platform and sharing economy. The planning and piloting of solutions in e.g. different services, waste management and reuse of resources was done in cooperation with companies, research organisations, cities and citizens. This procedure was developed into a partnership model that can be scaled and profited also in other neighborhoods and cities.

EU-GUGLE aimed to demonstrate the feasibility of nearly-zero energy building renovation models in 6 pilot cities in view of triggering large-scale, Europe-wide replication in smart cities and communities by 2020.

A program for promoting wood construction was a cooperation program for the City of Tampere, Tampere University of Applied Sciences, the Natural Resources Institute Finland and the Finnish Forest Centre, between 2014 and 2020. Its aim was to increase modern wood construction in Tampere and Pirkanmaa and to promote the skills and business of wood construction.



CONTACT

Development Director Kari Kankaala Tel. +358 50 351 3020

Program Manager Laura Inha Tel. +358 40 801 6035

Designer Elina Pulliainen Tel. +358 40 194 0799

Communications Specialist Miika Peltola Tel. +358 41 730 4661