Skip to sidebar

Climate Neutral Tampere 2030

The City of Tampere aims to be climate neutral by 2030. This means that the city’s greenhouse gas emissions will be reduced by 80% compared to 1990 levels and the remaining 20% will be compensated.

To achieve this goal, we must particularly reduce emissions caused by mobility, construction, housing, energy consumption and overall consumption. The city’s climate actions have been compiled into the Climate Neutral Tampere 2030 Roadmap, that is, our long-term plan. The implementation of measures listed in the roadmap can be monitored in the Climate Guard of Tampere.

Climate Neutral Tampere 2030 Roadmap brings together the city’s climate actions 

The city’s climate measures have been compiled into the Climate Neutral Tampere 2030 Roadmap. The roadmap includes 305 actions under seven themes: coordination and monitoring of the city’s climate efforts, urban planning, mobility, construction, energy, consumption and urban nature.

Some of the measures in the roadmap are major investments, such as renovating the Naistenlahti power plant, building a tram line, making the bus fleet low-emission, building a biogas power plant, replacing outdoor lighting with smart LEDs and upgrading the energy efficiency of the city’s service properties.

Some of the measures are smaller actions that yield significant results when incorporated into daily practices. These include enhancing recycling practices, advocating the sharing economy, sustainable procurement and promoting a plant-based diet.

The roadmap actions currently under review can result in a 73% decrease in emissions by 2030. It is worth remembering that the actions outlined in the roadmap are often carried out for reasons other than just climate change, and they also bring about many other advantages, such as improved health and economic benefits.

The Climate Neutral Tampere 2030 Roadmap is updated every two years. The Climate and Environmental Policy Unit is responsible for the updates together with the city’s service areas, units, utilities and companies. The City Board approved the first Climate Neutral Tampere 2030 Roadmap in August 2020. The currently valid roadmap was authorised on 3 October, 2022. The updating process started again in autumn 2023. 

Updated 10.4.2024