Koskipuisto Park

Koskipuisto Park in the summer.
Located in the centre of Tammerkoski, Koskipuisto Park was built as part of the renovation of the Kyttälä district in the late 19th century. Koskipuisto Park and Kirjastonpuisto Park, which is on the other side of the rapids, form the overall landscape ensemble together with the industrial plants and public buildings located on the banks of the rapids.

Location on map

The park received its current form when the power plant dam was built and the channel by the rapids was filled in. A festive promenade was built on the new stretch of riverbank, accentuated to this day by handsome arclights, ornamental plantings and sculptured boulders lifted from the river.

Some of the trees planted in the early 20th century remain in the park to this day. Handsome Canadian poplars (Populus x canadensis) and white willows (Salix ’Sibirica’) give a verdant feel to the waterside landscape. A beautiful silver birch (Betula pendula ’Yongii’) adorns the southern slope of the park.

Ever since 1939, the flower beds bordering the water-side paths have glowed in summer with red canna lilies. Canna (Canna Indica-hybr.) is a tropical march and waterside plant that requires a lot of care.

At the northern end of the park is Aimo Tukiainen’s sculpture ‘Virvatulet’, which dates from 1971. The sculpture is a monument to Finnish soldiers.

A summer kiosk can be found in the square at the corner of Koskikatu and Hämeenkatu.

The Koskipuisto Park public toilet is located in the corner of Koskikatu and Kyttälänkatu, near Pikku Kakkonen Park. This public toilet is open all year round from 7.00 to 24.00, but the large toilet section is closed between 2 January and 31 March.

Tammerinpuisto Park

Tammerinpuisto Park is located next to Koskipuisto Park, on the other side of Pellavatehtaankatu St. In 1914, a water feature known as the duck pond was built in Tammerinpuisto Park. It was bordered by lush waterside vegetation and, as the name suggests, ducks were kept there to provide amusement to children. From an early stage, the pond served as a skating rink for children. On the edge of the park is Hotel Tammer, built by Tampere Technical Society in 1928.

Tammerinpuisto Park was renovated in 2000-2002 and completed in 2007. The pond was bordered with a stone wall and a metal fence. A path and a rest and recreation area were built around the water feature. In 2007, Antero Koskinen's sculpture ‘the Mat and the Ball’ was erected at the front of Tammerinpuisto Park. Tammerinpuisto Square was named Eeva-Liisa Manger Square in 2014. The poet Eeva-Liisa Manner lived nearby for 32 years, on Ojakatu St.

On the eastern part of Koskipuisto Park is the Pikku Kakkonen playground, which is popular with children. The playground is Tampere's most famous playground, and its central theme is the familiar characters from Pikku Kakkonen.
Updated 4.8.2023