Health care services for exchange students

The City of Tampere provides health care services for higher education exchange students coming from the following countries:

  • exchange students from EU or EEA countries and Switzerland
  • exchange students who live in Australia and have a health insurance there
  • exchange students from Quebec province in Canada

The above-mentioned exchange students are entitled to health care services through public health care. They have to prove their entitlement to public health care services.

Students from the Nordic countries receive health care by presenting their official ID card or passport.

Students coming from EU or EEA countries or Switzerland and temporarily in Finland are entitled to necessary medical treatment through public health care if they have a European Health Insurance Card. The card has to be ordered before coming to Finland.

Students coming from Australia and staying temporarily in Finland are entitled to necessary medical treatment through public health care. Their right to public health care is proven with the Australian or another country’s passport which demonstrates their unrestricted right to live in Australia.

Students coming from Quebec in Canada have to apply for Kela’s Certificate of Entitlement to Medical Care in Finland in order to demonstrate their entitlement to public health care in Finland and receive it at the same fee as Finnish residents.

Please remember to bring the required document (eg passport) for each reception visit.

What services can exchange students use?

The City of Tampere produces health care services for exchange students at Student Health Care Centre Tullinkulma. You can contact student health care in different ways. You can fill the contact form in Finnish or in English. You will be contacted by phone or text message within three working days.

You can fill the contact form (Opiskeluterveydenhuollon sähköinen yhteydenottolomake) in Finnish or in English.

Advice and arranging an appointment: tel. 040 806 2454, Mon - Fri 8.15 - 12

Student health care

A health care professional assesses the service need when the student contacts the service. In addition to necessary medical treatment, exchange students also receive necessary preventive health care services, such as advice on contraception.

The City of Tampere organises necessary dental treatment.

Urgent care and emergency

Student Health Care Centre Tullinkulma is closed in the evenings and on weekends, so if you need non-urgent health advice during such times, contact municipal Health care counselling (tel. 03 5657 0023, daily 7 - 22) by phone.

If you believe that you need urgent care, read instructions of urgent care.

Always call 112 in urgent emergency situations, such as in case of a sudden attack of illness, or if someone’s life is in danger.

Tuberculosis screening

Finland conducts tuberculosis screening. If you come from a country categorised in a risk group where the occurrence of tuberculosis is high, you may have the disease and infect those around you without knowing. In this way tuberculosis can be detected in time, and its spread can be prevented. Diagnosis of possible tuberculosis does not affect the right to study or stay in the country.


Exchange students pay the same fees for the services as Finnish residents in accordance with the Act on Client Charges in Social and Health Care Services.
Fees for health centres

Cancel the reception by sending a text message to number 0400 267 715. Remember to write your name, appointment time and your date of birth. This number does not take any phonecalls, it takes only messages considering cancelling.

It is recommended to take a medical expenses insurance as it covers more extensive medical treatment than public health care (eg longer treatment periods and repatriation).

Further information can also be found on Kela’s website

Updated 19.8.2022