Eteläpuisto (Southern Park) was created in two periods: in 1915 - 1917 and 1928 - 1929. The park was designed by City Engineer K. Vaaramäki and the construction of the park was led by City Gardener Onni Karsten. In 1897 there were still Russian soldiers' kitchen gardens and cellars in Eteläpuisto. In 1918 potatoes and swedes were grown in the park.
The thickest Amur maple (Acer tataricum subsp. ginnala) in Finland grows in Eteläpuisto and the girth of the maple is 239 cm at its base. The tree has four limbs. There is also a paper birch (Betula papyrifera) growing in Eteläpuisto. The girth of this paper birch was 214 cm at breast height in 1990.
In the 1920's Eteläpuisto had a classical-style performance stand around which roses were grown. In place of the performance stand today there is a granite monument dedicated the co-operative movement. The monument was completed by Wäinö Aaltonen in 1950. Also, there is a bust of Fabian Klingendahl made by Yrjö Liipola. The bust was erected in 1953.