The basic social assistance is applied for Kela:
The municipality takes the decisions on the supplementary and preventive social assistance, which the client of the service of basic social assistance may need. Yet, to obtain supplementary and preventive social assistance you have to have a decision of Kela on basic social assistance in validity.
- The supplementary social assistance is intended for the expenses created by the specific circumstances of the applicant or the applicant’s family. Supplementary social assistance can be granted on justified reasons according to needs.
- The preventive social assistance can be obtained for instance to secure accommodation and to alleviate difficulties due to over-indebtedness or the sudden worsening of the financial situation.
Both the supplementary and the preventive social assistance aim at enhancing the client’s independent living and at preventing client’s exclusion.
The social assistance is granted by the municipality, in the area of which the applicant or the applicant’s family is permanently living. In Tampere, the assistance is applied for as follows:
1. If you have an appointed personal worker in the Adult Social Work Services, take contact with him/her:
2. If you have a personal worker in the unit of Gerontology Open Care Social Work, in the social office of Foster and Post Care or in the unit of Social Work with Families with Children, you apply for the supplementary and the preventive social assistance in the mentioned services.
3. In other cases, the supplementary and the preventive social assistance is applied for in the Counselling Point of social services or in the Social Services of the Immigrants, in writing or, if necessary, by appointment.
4. You can apply for the supplementary and the preventive social assistance also from Kela at the same time when you apply for the basic social assistance: Kela transfers the application for the supplementary and the preventive social assistance to the handling of the municipality.
If you apply for the supplementary and the preventive social assistance directly from the municipality, you can apply for it in writing. An electronic application will be possible as of May 2, 2017.
Application for the supplementary and the preventive social assistance in only in Finnish:
The application is handled in the period of seven work days from the arrival of the application in the municipality. The day of the arrival of the application is not included in the due period of time.
In urgent cases the decision is given at the latest the day following the day of arrival.
Tampere residents who have received income support for no less than a
year are eligible for an active pass. The
active pass can be used on the Tampere Public Transport buses and at the
city’s indoor swimming pools and gyms. Museum Centre Vapriikki, Tampere
Art Museum and Sara Hildén Art Museum offer free entrance.
Residents can apply for the active pass in connection with submitting an income support application or with a separate application.
The aid granted by the city totals EUR 50 and will be loaded on a travel card. The aid is granted twice a year. The personal contribution is EUR 5 each time.