The City of Tampere offers free contraceptives to all young people under 20 and to people over 20 on slightly different grounds. Appointments with a nurse or a doctor that are related to contraception are always free in the City’s health services.
If you are under 20 and a resident of Tampere or Orivesi or you are pursuing your upper secondary education in Tampere or Orivesi, you can receive free contraception as follows:
- Free hormonal contraception, meaning contraceptive pills, rings or patches for 12 months (until you turn 20) if
- you are starting contraception for the first time;
- you are starting contraception after delivery; or
- you are starting contraception after having an abortion.
- Long-acting contraception, meaning a hormonal or copper IUD or a contraceptive implant, regardless of whether you have used contraception before.
- Condoms when needed.
If you are over 20 years of age, you can receive free contraceptives regardless of home municipality as follows:
- If you are starting contraception for the first time, you can receive free hormonal contraception for six months (contraceptive pills, rings or patches).
- You will be offered free hormonal contraception for six months after delivery (as stated above).
- After having an abortion, you can have a hormonal or copper IUD or a contraceptive implant fitted free of charge or receive free hormonal contraception for six months (as stated above).
- You can receive free condoms as an alternative to other methods of contraception or during health check-ups.
The free contraceptives for people over 20 listed above are also available to university of applied sciences students whose home municipality is other than Tampere or Orivesi.
You can get free contraceptives from the following: