The City of Tampere is included in the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health’s key project that aims to create services that are based on customer needs through a pilot project on freedom of choice. In Tampere, the pilot will cover health centre services and social guidance.
The residents in the pilot area can choose if they want to become customers of the private service provider registered for the pilot or continue using the services of their current health centre. The resident can also change to another city health centre.
The pilot will last until the end of 2018. The pilot helps to prepare for the extended freedom of choice included in the regional government and social and health care reform that is planned to become effective from 2019 onwards.
The residents of the postal code areas 33530 and 33710 can participate in the pilot. A total of 22,700 Tampere residents live in these areas:
- Postal code area 33530 includes parts of the Kissanmaa and Hakametsä neighbourhoods. The area has approximately 4,700 residents whose primary health centres are Tammelakeskus or Linnainmaa health centre.
- Postal code area 33710 includes the neighbourhoods of Annala, Kaukajärvi, Lukonmäki, Turtola and Viiala. The area is served by Kaukajärvi and Hervanta health centres and has a total of 18,000 residents.
The pilot is not open to residents who
- do not live in postal code areas 33530 and 33710
- are covered by regular home care services and have a responsible doctor at the city’s geriatric outpatient clinic
- are covered by senior citizens’ long-term institutional care lasting longer than three months or by housing with around-the-clock assistance
- are in opiate replacement therapy organised by the city of Tampere
- have already previously chosen some place other than the municipal health centre as their health service provider less than a year ago.
The freedom of choice pilot applies to the reception activities of primary health care care and social guidance. In the pilot, these are referred to as the ‘Omatiimi’ services that include services of:
- basic health care doctors
- nurses or public health nurses
- mental health and substance abuse work and
- social guidance.
You can only be a customer of one ‘Omatiimi’ service provider at a time.
The pilot does not include child and maternity health clinics, oral health care and specialised medical care. If you are participating in the pilot, you can still use these services like all Tampere residents.
If you live in the pilot area, you can choose if you want to become a customer of the private service provider during the pilot. If you wish, you can also become a customer of another city health centre. You do not have to choose any service provider if you want to continue at your current health centre. You can choose your service provider every three months.
You can select your health centre online using city’s information system, by calling the health care counselling service (03 10023) or by visiting Kaukajärvi, Linnainmaa or Tammelakeskus health centre.
The information regarding the health centres you can choose from can be found only in Finnish online at www.tampere.fi/valinnanvapaus:
You will be transferred to the new service provider at the turn of the calendar month, which means that if you choose a new service provider in March, you can start using their services in April.
The residents of the pilot area pay the same fees for the ‘Omatiimi’ services as they would for regular city services. Client fees are paid to the City of Tampere, and they also accumulate the annual maximum amount of client fees as with other residents of the municipality.